Recipe by Harry's Girl
Delicious recipe for African Split Pea Soup.
Top Review by Elmotoo
Sorry but this didn't go over very well. 1 person refused to eat it, 1 person didn't like it & the other 2 thought it was ok. Not sure WHY. I thought it looked like a very good recipe. Ot was easy to make, etc. It just didn't go over well with the family. :( Made for African Tag 10/13.
- 1 cup dried split peas
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse peas, put in soup pot with 3 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Meanwhile, saute the onions and garlic in oil until translucent. Mix in spices and saute for 5 - 10 minutes more, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Set aside.
- When the split peas are cooked, stir in the onion mixture along with the vegetable stock.
- Add the lemon juice and cooked rice, season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the parsley and gently reheat if necessary.