Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 mins
Very good and a nice change. I am not a big fan of cauliflower so I use a bag of fresh stir fry vegetables instead. The presentation is very colorful. I adapted this recipe from a Weight Watchers cookbok. 1 point per 1 cup serving.
- 3⁄4 cup fresh broccoli florets, small
- 3⁄4 cup fresh cauliflower floret
- 1⁄2 cup diagonally sliced carrot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons nonfat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- Steam the vegetables, covered 2 minutes.
- Rinse under cold water; drain well.
- Combine spices in a skillet over medium heat and cook 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- In a medium bowl, combine spice mixture, sour cream, vinegar, and honey.
- Add vegetables and mix well.
Very colorful dish and the dressing is great when just made. It's an interesting blend of spices and not at all overwhelming. I put this together and refrigerated it for three hours. Don't do that. Put the dressing on just before serving as it gets watery with time.
This is one of my favourite meals. We make this atleast 4 times a week. I also use fresh vegetables: carrots, French beans, potatoes, greenpeas(frozen but defrosted), cauliflower and celery. I'm not a big broccoli fan, so I leave that out. I substitute the cider vinegar with freshly squeezed lemon juice. Most often, I enjoy the vegetables all by themselves, i.e., minus the dressing. I most often add a pinch of turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp. red chilli powder and 1/2 tsp. of black pepper to the veggies while they are steaming. When I do that, I skip the nutmeg and ginger completely.
This was really good but the kids weren't impressed. *sigh* I used fresh veggies which adds to the prep time significantly.