Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Taken from chef2chef .net and posted for ZWT. Definitely sounds interesting! Originally from ''Empire Kosher Chicken Cookbook: 225 Easy and Elegant Recipes for Poultry and Great Side Dishes'' by Katja Goldman and Arthur Boehm. **Time to prep/cook does not include refrigeration time.
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper or 1 tablespoon very coarsely ground black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 3 lbs chicken drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 vegetable cooking spray
- 4 firm barely ripe bananas (unpeeled)
- In small bowl, combine cumin, paprika, chile powder, brown sugar, peppercorns and oregano.
- Rub or spray drumsticks lightly with oil.
- Roll in spice rub, transfer to pan or dish, cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Remove drumsticks from the refrigerator 20 minutes before cooking.
- Grill over medium heat, about 4 inches from heat source, turning as needed, until brown and crisp, about 30 minutes.
- (Or broil drumsticks, turning once, about 12 minutes per side.).
- Slice unpeeled bananas in half lengthwise.
- Coat or spray banana flesh with vegetable oil.
- About 5 minutes before chicken is done, place bananas on the grill or under broiler, flesh toward heat, and cook until fruit softens and sizzles, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve bananas and chicken together.
This was unusual and very delicious. I broiled as I was too lazy to fire up the bbq and let the chicken crust over. The spice mix was lovely - both hot and sweet, and the bananas on the side were an interesting addition, that nobody seemed to mind, but were not overwhelmed with, either. Thanks.