Recipe by Olha
Tasty dish with ham hock, chicken, stewing beef with spices and rice. This is medium heat recipe add more chile and cayenne if you like it more spicy.
- 1 smoked ham hock (weighing at least a pound)
- 2 cups chicken bouillon
- 2 cups beef bouillon
- 1 (3 -4 lb) chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 lb lean stewing beef
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 medium size onions, peeled, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, minced
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 hot green chili pepper, minced (fresh or canned)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw long grain rice
- 1 head cabbage, washed cut into 8 pieces
- 1 eggplant, peeled, cut into chunks
- 1 small pumpkin, peeled, seeded, cut into chunks
Directions See How It's Made
- Put ham hock in deep pot with chicken bouillon and beef bouillon and simmer covered for an hour. While hock is simmering, heat oil in heavy stew pot and brown chicken and beef. Remove from pot and reserve. Saute onions and garlic for a few minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, chilies, salt and cayenne. Stir and cook for 5 minutes. When ham hock is tender, remove it from bouillon, discard skin and bones and return pieces of ham to bouillon. Add bouillon, ham and beef to stew and simmer covered for an hour. Add chicken and simmer covered for another 15 minutes. Add rice. Stir well. Cover and simmer for another 20 minutes or until rice is cooked and chicken tender. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving so rice will absorb the liquid. Prepare cabbage and eggplant and pumpkin by boiling or steaming and serve as side dishes.
- Black Africa Cookbook.