1/1 Photo of African Saucy Chicken
5 hrs 20 mins
Another beloved slow cooker recipe from Canadian Living! I like it with vermicelli noodles or rice... you may need more salt and pepper depending on your preference! I use boneless skinless thighs because that's what I like!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 ground ginger
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 16 chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno peppers, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley or 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1In a large skillet, heat half the oil over med high heat and saute onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until softened (about 4 minutes).
- 2Stir in tomato paste, paprika, 2 tbsp water, ginger, and 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper - cook, stirring, for about 1 minute.
- 3stir in coconut milk and peanut butter and then let cool slightly and transfer to food processor, puree until smooth (Make ahead - let cool to room temperature and refrigerate in an airtight container up to 48 hours).
- 4Sprinkle chicken with remaining salt and pepper. In a skillet, heat remaining oil over med high heat and brown chicken in batches, then transfer to slow cooker.
- 5Pour sauce over top , then cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- 6Stir in jalapeno and cilantro / parsley and cook on high for 20 minutes until thickened.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for African Saucy Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (256 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 643.3
- Calories from Fat 403
- Total Fat 44.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.3 g
- Cholesterol 157.9 mg
- Sodium 452.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 21.1 g
- Protein 35.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: