Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I wanted something different, but filling and healthy. I like to create one dish meals that I can make on the weekend, divide and bring to work for lunches.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups cucumbers, chopped
- 1 medium banana
- 1 tablespoon mashed sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon sweet pepper, chopped
- 14 3⁄4 ounces Del Monte Savory Sides Santa Fe Corn
- 3⁄4 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 8 ounces tuna steaks (I used albacore ginger & soy flavor)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 5 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon season salt (sylvia's soulful)
- 2 cups water
- Combine all ingredients in large 3 qt pan.
- cook on medium heat for 1 hour, until rice is cooked, add more water as needed.
First, I tried your recipe, and loved it! I've cooked this many times, and have found it best to cook the rice separately. I'm not sure why, but sometimes the rice wouldn't cook right.I also find that this gets better with age. Put it in the fridge, and the next day it's even more spicy and flavorful! I modified some things to taste/convenience. I leave out the sweet potato, sweet pepper, and tobasco sauce, double the amount of peanut butter, and use vegetable/tuna amounts that make sense with canned products. No matter the slight variations, it comes out great! I definitely recommend the extra peanut butter though... :)
I made some modifications to this recipe, however I used mostly the same ingredients, and the flavor was pleasantly mild and not as overpowering as I'd expected. Changes I made: removed the fish to make it vegetarian (it is still plenty filling), Sauteed all the ingredients apart from the rice and water, in olive oil in a separate pan, throwing them in gradually starting with the onions, peppers, seasonings, bananas, then the rest. I substituted a combination of V-8 juice and tomato paste for the tomatoes, and I didn't cook the cucumbers - I just chopped them up and mixed them in after everything else was done. Very tasty. Thank you for the unique idea!