Serve with the chopped cilantro and peanuts on top. If desired, pass additional red pepper flakes on the side
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 2 lbs boneless pork butt, cut into 1 in cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted peanuts, shelled
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoons of the oil on high heat. When hot, add the pork cubes and cook until soft. Stir in the garlic, curry powder, coriander, cumin, and crushed red pepper. Cook 1 minute. Add ginger, cinnamon, bay leaf, salt, chicken broth, and tomato paste.
- Bring liquid to a boil, cover and simmer on low for 45 minutes. Add peanut butter and blend well. Cook stew another 3 minutes, uncovered to blend.
- Stir in chopped tomato and bell pepper. Simmer 2-3 minutes, just until the vegetables soften but still retain shape.
- Before serving, taste to correct seasonings; You may wish to add a final splash of lemon juice to refresh the flavors.