Prep 5 mins
Cook 9 mins
Delicious soup that is eaten over cous cous, but is equally good over rice.
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes or 4 vegetable stock
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup scallion, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup instant mashed potatoes
- 1 dash cayenne, and salt to taste
- Boil 4 cups of water in a 3-qt saucepan and dissolve chicken cubes.
- Add tomatoes, carrots, onions and scallions.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes until carrots and tender.
- Mix in peanut butter and stir until well blended, add milk, instant potatoes and seasonings.
- Simmer until sauce thickens.
Soup made with peanut butter is a staple in Ghana (on the west coast of Africa), though they call the legume "groundnuts" rather than peanuts. My Ghanaian friends would ad a tablespoon of chili powder to give this dish some extra pep.