Recipe by Happy Hippie
I found this interesting-sounding recipe on allrecipes.com It was submitted by Pietogo. She stated "This oddly wonderful combination of ingredients make a surprisingly different and delicious soup that everyone will enjoy! Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top and some crusty bread for dipping. YUM!" I haven't made it yet, but intend to soon.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 large red bell peppers, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes, with liquid
- 8 cups vegetable broth or 8 cups stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice, uncooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat.
- Cook onions and bell peppers until lightly browned and tender, stirring in garlic when almost done to prevent burning.
- Stir in tomatoes, vegetable stock, pepper, and chili powder.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in rice, cover, and simmer another fifteen minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in peanut butter until well blended, and serve.