Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
A delicious, simple, nutritious stew inspired by a recipe I found in a Philadelphia newspaper. Can be made with any protein (fish, chicken, lamb, etc). A 5-quart Dutch oven is the perfect size for the size of this recipe.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 1 1⁄4 cups broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stew beef chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk (skim, 1%, 2% whole all work)
- 1⁄3 cup peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 sweet potato, 1/2 inch cubes
- 10 ounces frozen spinach
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Coat inside of dutch oven and lid with oil or cooking spray.
- Place onion and quinoa in dutch oven, pour in broth and stir lightly to distribute evenly.
- Place meat on quinoa layer and top with bell pepper.
- Whisk together milk, peanut butter, garlic, cayenne, and salt until smooth then pour over the meat.
- Layer in the tomatoes, sweet potato, and spinach.
- Cover and bake for about 50 minutes; when the aroma permeates the kitchen, wait a few more minutes and it will be done.