Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
One of the principal crops of some African countries is peanuts. They are nutritious and hardy, making them a first-rate survival food. In this recipe peanuts and highly prized honey are combined to make a sweet African treat.
- 1 cup low-fat peanut butter
- 1 cup honey, slightly warm
- 1 -2 cup powdered milk or 1 -2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated coconut
- Put peanut butter and honey in bowl and blend well.
- Add 1 cup powdered milk or wheat germ and blend into a stiff dough, adding more powdered milk or wheat germ as needed.
- Form mixture into small 1-inch balls or patties.
- Put coconut in flat pan.
- Roll balls or patties in coconut to coat.
- Place side by side on dish covered with wax paper, cover with another wax paper sheet, and refrigerate.
- Serve as a sweet snack treat.
Is this really an African food?
Rolled some in coconut and some in sesame seeds as others suggested. Both were good. The other candy pictured in my photo is date balls that were rolled in cocoa powder.
A sweet treat that is quick and easy to make. My aunt used to make these with powdered milk so I decided to try the toasted wheat germ and must say it was thoroughly enjoyed. Made this recipe as written although it did take a little more than 1/2 cup coconut for rolling all the balls. Thanks for the post.