Recipe by CareCook
Add precooked chicken to soup-like mixture and cook on stove for about an hour! Our family really enjoyed - even the kids! I used about 1/3 - 1/2 the amount of chili powder and 1/4 the amount of crushed red pepper.
Top Review by Leggy Peggy
We love this chicken and it brought back wonderful memories. We spent most of 2009 travelling in Africa and enjoyed many dishes like this. Made this as written (following your advice to reduce the chili powder and crushed red pepper). I will be making this regularly -- and probably use chicken thighs as they stay moister. It's wonderful that such simple ingredients can create such a delicious and easy-to-make result. Thanks very much for posting.
- 1360.77 g boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 44.37 ml lemon juice
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1-2 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 9.85 ml garlic, minced
- 29.58 ml fresh ginger, minced
- 19.71 ml chili powder
- 737.08 g diced tomatoes, canned, slightly drained
- 6.55 ml dried thyme
- 2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 118.29 ml natural-style peanut butter
- 395.10 ml chicken stock or 395.10 ml canned broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir lemon juice with chicken pieces and season with salt. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat vegetable or peanut oil in skillet and saute chicken until cooked through.
- Refrigerate chicken.
- Saute onions and peppers until tender in vegetable or peanut oil.
- Add garlic, ginger and chili powder and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, thyme and crushed red pepper. Bring to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add peanut butter and stir until blended. Stir in chicken stock or broth and return to simmer.
- Add cooked chicken.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until thickened and reduced (approx 45 minutes).
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Freeze in bags or pans.
- Reheating: Defrost. Transfer to saucepan and heat thoroughly. Serve over rice.