1/1 Photo of African Peanut and Ginger Chicken
Add precooked chicken to soup-like mixture and cook on stove for about an hour! Our family really enjoyed - even the kids! I used about 1/3 - 1/2 the amount of chili powder and 1/4 the amount of crushed red pepper.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 -2 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 26 ounces diced tomatoes, canned, slightly drained
- 1 1/3 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup natural-style peanut butter
- 1 2/3 cups chicken stock or 1 2/3 cups canned broth
- 1Stir lemon juice with chicken pieces and season with salt. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- 2Heat vegetable or peanut oil in skillet and saute chicken until cooked through.
- 3Refrigerate chicken.
- 4Saute onions and peppers until tender in vegetable or peanut oil.
- 5Add garlic, ginger and chili powder and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes.
- 6Stir in tomatoes, thyme and crushed red pepper. Bring to simmer for 5 minutes.
- 7Add peanut butter and stir until blended. Stir in chicken stock or broth and return to simmer.
- 8Add cooked chicken.
- 9Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until thickened and reduced (approx 45 minutes).
- 10Remove from heat and cool.
- 11Freeze in bags or pans.
- 12Reheating: Defrost. Transfer to saucepan and heat thoroughly. Serve over rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for African Peanut and Ginger Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (380 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 347.1
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 100.2 mg
- Sodium 399.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 46.0 g