1 hr 15 mins
A wonderful thick okra soup with bacon, corn and tomatoes!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Trim off both ends of okra pods.
- 2Slice 1/4 inch thick.
- 3Carefully place the tomatoes into a small pot of boiling water for about 30-45 seconds. Remove from water and peel off skin.
- 4Slice tomatoes in half and scoop out the runny insides, discard this part. Coarsely chop the fleshy part of the tomatoes.
- 5Dice the bacon and fry until crisp. Remove to papertowels. Save grease.
- 6Place all ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 7Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the okra is just tender.
- 8*1-2 Tbl. bacon grease can (and should)be added to enhance the soup's flavor.
- 9**The lemon can be thickly sliced and cooked right in the pot of soup, or it can be zested and halved and the fresh juice can be squeezed over each portion when served to taste, and garnished with the zest.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for African Okra Soup
Serving Size: 1 (380 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 141.9
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 7.7 mg
- Sodium 116.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 5.9 g