Vegetable Meat Balls, is a traditional Nigerian recipe for a classic dish of beef meatballs with potatoes, carrots and onions that are pan-fried to brown then cooked in a tomato-based sauce before being served with rice and greens. I modified it subing beef for turkey and yams for sweet potatoes (cuz they are in season here in GA)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and grated
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 large onion, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- hot pepper sauce
- 3 tablespoons palm oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 tomatoes, chopped and mashed
- 1 bay leaf
- nutmeg (to taste)
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 2Heat 3 tblsp palm oil in a frying pan. Fry onions for a few minutes.
- 3Stir in onions,tomato paste, 3 tomatoes. Add water as necessary to make a smooth sauce.
- 4Season to taste with bay leaf, nutmeg, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper.
- 5Stir. Bring to a slow boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for ten minutes while you prep meatballs.
- 7Mix first 7 ingredients together, season to taste then form into 6cm balls.(turn off sauce).
- 8Chill these in the freezer for at least 10 min,(Boil rice ).
- 9fry meat balls in enough oil to cover the bottom of a pan.
- 10Once browned all over, add enough tomato sauce to cover the meatballs then add a few splashes of hot pepper sauce to flavor.
- 11Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer then tightly secure a lid and cook for 20 minutes.
- 12Serve on a bed of rice.
Browse Our Top Meatballs Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meatballs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for African Meatballs W/ Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 568.5
- Calories from Fat 254
- Total Fat 28.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 156.6 mg
- Sodium 630.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 16.1 g
- Protein 49.7 g