Recipe by jameras
Vegetable Meat Balls, is a traditional Nigerian recipe for a classic dish of beef meatballs with potatoes, carrots and onions that are pan-fried to brown then cooked in a tomato-based sauce before being served with rice and greens. I modified it subing beef for turkey and yams for sweet potatoes (cuz they are in season here in GA)
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and grated
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 large onion, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- hot pepper sauce
- 3 tablespoons palm oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 tomatoes, chopped and mashed
- 1 bay leaf
- nutmeg (to taste)
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 3 tblsp palm oil in a frying pan. Fry onions for a few minutes.
- Stir in onions,tomato paste, 3 tomatoes. Add water as necessary to make a smooth sauce.
- Season to taste with bay leaf, nutmeg, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper.
- Stir. Bring to a slow boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for ten minutes while you prep meatballs.
- Mix first 7 ingredients together, season to taste then form into 6cm balls.(turn off sauce).
- Chill these in the freezer for at least 10 min,(Boil rice ).
- fry meat balls in enough oil to cover the bottom of a pan.
- Once browned all over, add enough tomato sauce to cover the meatballs then add a few splashes of hot pepper sauce to flavor.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer then tightly secure a lid and cook for 20 minutes.
- Serve on a bed of rice.