Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a very simple and tasty African recipe. I have done this recipe so many times!
Make and share this African Meat Potatoes Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a pot and brown the ground veal with the onion. Add the water, celery, carrot, salt, and pepper. Cook for 60 minutes over low heat.
- Arrange the meat mixture in a casserole dish.
- Boil the potatoes with the celery root until tender (20 minutes).
- Dry the potatoes and celery root and mash them. Add the butter, the salt and pepper and the egg yolks.
- In a bowl beat the egg whites until firm; add to the potato mixture.
- Cover the meat mixture with the potato mixture.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until golden.
Excellent! Wonderful how these ingredients come together to make for a great tasting meal. Made as posted - and wouldn't change a thing! Like the way the beaten egg whites make the potato topping light and fluffy. Thank you Katia for giving me a new casserole to add to my cookbook.
Very good and filling recipe. I didn't read the recipe properly and found out that I was short on time. Instead of letting the meat mixture simmer for 60 minutes, I added the onions, carrots and celery to the meat and let it all brown together. I also added about 1/2 cup of frozen corn to the meat mixture. I made the potato topping as instructed and the beaten egg whites really made the potatoes light and fluffy. After letting it bake for 50 minutes, I took the casserole out and topped it with a Mexican cheese blend and put it back in the oven for a few minutes to let the cheese melt.
This was excellent, thoroughly enjoyed it.