African Lamb and Vegetable Pilau
- First make the meat curry. Place the lamb in a large bowl and add the thyme, paprika, garam masala, garlic and salt and pepper. Stir, cover, and leave in a cool place for 2-3 hours.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the lamb over a moderate heat for 5-6 minutes, until browned.
- Add the stock, stir, then cook covered for 35-40 minutes. Transfer the lamb to a bowl and pour the liquid into a measuring jug, topping up with water if necessary, to make 600ml.
- To make the rice, melt the butter or margarine and fry the onion, potato and carrot for 5 minutes.
- Add the red pepper, cabbage, chilli, yogurt, spices, garlic, and the reserved meat stock. Stir well, cover then simmer gently for 5-10 minutes, until the cabbage has wilted.
- Stir in the rice and lamb, cover and simmer over a low heat for 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Sprinkle in the cashew nuts and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot.