Recipe by JanuaryBride
A delicious and easy sounding recipe from www.congocookbook.com posted for ZWT7. It says that you may sub out the spinach with cassava leaves ( Feuilles de Manioc), kale, collards, turnip greens or similar as long as you make sure they are cleaned, stems removed, and parboiled. It says this dish would typically be served with Fufu.
- 1 tablespoon oil (less if you are using a nonstick pan)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 sweet green pepper, chopped (bell pepper)
- 1 ripe tomatoes, chopped (may sub 1 can of tomatoes, drained)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs spinach, cleaned
- salt and black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (or more to taste, may use red pepper flakes)
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter (fresh is best in this recipe)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the onion and green pepper in hot oil in large saucepan until they begin to become tender.
- Add tomato and spinach or greens and water. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer until all is is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add spices and peanut butter.
- Reduce heat to lowest possible and stir until sauce is smooth.