Prep 12 mins
Cook 0 mins
ZWT7, Africa. "A wide variety of tropical fruits, both native and non-native, are cultivated in Africa. In Western Africa, the closest thing to a dessert course is the "after-chop" and a popular "after-chop" is fruit salad. In Eastern Africa, Swahili people make a Saladi ya Matunda for dessert (See note at bottom of recipe). One interesting thing about the African fruit salad is the use of the avocado. A perfectly fine fruit salad can be made from just three or four of the ingredients listed below. A fruit salad makes a fine dessert course for an African-style dinner." Modified from, www.congocookbook.com.
- 1 lemon, juice of
- fresh grated coconut or chopped roasted peanuts, to garnish
- honey (optional) or sugar (optional)
- If using canned fruits: drain and save the liquid. Peel and remove seeds from the fresh fruit as necessary, cut fruit into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine all fruit in a glass bowl. Add the lemon juice, some of the liquid from the canned fruits or honey/sugar. Stir gently. There should only be enough liquid to coat the fruit; it does not have to be covered in liquid.
- Cover the fruit salad and allow it to stand at room temperature for a half hour before serving. The fruit salad may be refrigerated after it has stood up to an hour. It should be eaten the same day it is made.
- Garnish with freshly grated coconut or chopped roasted peanuts right before serving.
- NOTE: Eastern Africa's Saladi Ya Matunda is made without the lemon juice, coconut or peanuts; it substitutes sugar/honey for the liquid from the canned fruits.
We love fresh fruit for dessert and this fruit salad was delightful. I drizzled with a little honey for sweetness and topped with toasted coconut and peanuts. Thanks.
Delightful and refreshing fruit salad. I didn't feel it needed any sweetening. I did add a bit of fruit juice to the mixture. I also put both coconut and peanuts on the table so that people could choose their own garnish. Made for ZWT7
Great, sweet fruit salad! I used the honey instead of sugar, which was really great. Made for ZWT-7