Recipe by CaliforniaJan
Use like hummus, this is delicious with pita wedges. Cooking time includes time to roast garlic and eggplant.
- 1 large head garlic, roasted (see directions)
- 3 large eggplants, whole with skin on
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 -6 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- On a gas or preferably charcoal barbecue, roast the whole eggplant evenly on all sides until the skin is charred or the eggplant is soft.
- Set aside and let cool.
- Peel off charred skin,or scoop out the soft insides of the eggplant and place in a large bowl.
- Add Garlic, olive oil, onion, parsley, basil, Tahini if you are using it,Tabasco Sauce, salt and pepper to taste. The dip can be as smooth or lumpy as you like it, If you want it smooth, then process it until the ingredients are paste like.
- Serve as a dip with Pita crisp triangles, Armenian cracker bread, as a vegetable dip,or as a vegetable side dish. Can be served hot or cold.
- To roast garlic: Peel outer skin layer from head of fresh garlic, leaving cloves and head intact. Place head of garlic on a double thickness of foil; top with 1 teaspoon butter and a sprig of fresh.
- rosemary or oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried. Fold up and seal. Bake in a 400 degree over or on a covered grill for 55-60 minutes. Let cool to the touch.
- Squeeze the now softened cloves from skins and set aside. Discard skins.