Recipe by cookinrooky
This is an African (Mozambique) curry that can be done with chicken, shrimp, or crab. Goes well with tomato chutney and onion hot sauce. For shrimp or crab, use 1 pound."
Top Review by Tea Jenny
This is a nice curry, I would say that it's a quick easy tasty everyday dish, I used light coconut milk and my chicken was precooked and frozen previously and I served it with brown rice. I did add about three times the curry powder in the recipe as I wanted to pack in lots of flavour. Thank you for posting. Made for a spicy dish for November 2010
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, drained
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (2 -3 lb) roasting chickens, bones and skin removed, cut into pieces
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion, garlic, and bay leaf, and saute until onion is lightly browned.
- Mix tomatoes, curry powder, and salt into the skillet, and continue cooking about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the chicken, and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until no longer pink and juices run clear.
- Reduce skillet heat to low. Stirring constantly, gradually blend in the coconut milk over a period of about 10 minutes. Mix in lemon juice just before serving.