From the Raley's magazine Something Extra, This is posted for the zaar world tour.The time listed does not include 1 hr. refrigeration time. Approved for ZWT 6 NA*ME
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups couscous
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2⁄3 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 2 large oranges, peeled and chopped (plus any juice)
Tangy Orange Dressing
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- To toast slivered almonds, cook on a baking sheet at 375°F for 5 to 10 minutes, checking and stirring frequently. Or, cook in a small skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently until golden brown.
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in couscous, butter and cinnamon; cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork and let cool.
- Place remaining salad ingredients in a bowl; drizzle with dressing and toss well to coat.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Tangy Orange Dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together orange juice, extra virgin olive oil, white wine vinegar, honey, salt and pepper.
Excellent. I already had cooked couscous on hand as I'd made Couscous Basics, so I just added the cinnamon and proceeded from there. All the proportions were spot-on for my taste and the dressing was very nice if a little too liquidy. I think next time I'll go with just the orange juice and olive oil and leave the wine out altogether as it just made everything sort of soupy. Served with Chicken Shawarma.
This was a great salad, with nice flavors. Loved the touch of cinnamon in it.
I made this tonight to go with some chicken wings with fruity flair to them. This went great. The kids loved it. I think I prefer the couscous salad with the corn, black beans, and onions myself but the kids would not eat that one. Made for ZWT 07