Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Before Buffalo wings had even been dreamed of, our African ancestors had their own type of hot flavors. And when you use those to flavor today's popular chicken wings...look out! Now, you can really ratchet up the heat by adding a bit more crushed red pepper to this. Just be prepared for the extra zing.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted (1 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 4 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 5 -6 lbs split chicken wings
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the chicken wings; mix well. Rinse and pat dry the chicken wings and place in the sauce; toss to coat well.
- Place on rimmed baking sheets or cookie sheets that have been coated with nonstick vegetable spray and bake for 45-50 minutes or until done to desired crispness, turning once.
Excellent wings...hubby was happy that the skin was not soft...the flavors blended well together...next time I need to remember to put foil on my pan for easy clean up...this was so easy to prepare...I loved that the ingredients are things I seem to always have on hand...thanks for posting it! =)
Great flavour and melt in the mouth tender meat,. I decided to make ahead of time but the only problem with that was that the butter solidified on the wings. so pull the wings out and dotted some of the solidified sauce over the wings and put the rest in the pan and baked at 200C for 20 minutes and then turned down to 175C for 30 minutes (these are fan forced temperatures). Also I used dried red chilli flakes (home made and hot and cut back to just under a teaspoon instead of the 2/3 tablespoon called for 20 wings - though I was supposed to have 10 wings and once divided and freezing tips I would have had 20 pieces ) but decided to leave the 2 pieces together and bake as said. Thank you JackieOhNo! for a very nice wing recipe, made for Please Review My Recipe.
I am not a hug fan of Buffalo wings but I sure am of African wings!!! I made this exactly as written except scaled back to 1/3 of the recipe. Myself and my DS's girlfriend loved these wings. So easy and I loved the lemon flavor and slight kick from the red pepper flakes!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for ZWT 7.