Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Adapted from World Recipes. I love chicken and cumin, this is a nice stew for any weather. You can use a whole chicken, de-boned and cut into pieces or breasts & thighs, skin on.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 lbs chicken
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup peanut butter
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. In a heavy (preferably ceramic cast iron) pot with a tight fitting lid, hat oil over medium high heat. Add chicken and brown quickly.
- Remove chicken from pan. Reduce heat to medium low, add garlic, onion and diced potato to the pan, saute for 2 - 3 minutes. Add herbs and spices.
- Deglaze pot with water. Mix in chicken pieces. Cover with lid and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter and chickpeas ensuring peanut butter is mixed in well. Cover with lid and simmer addition 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and serve.