Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an oldie but a goodie Cooking Light recipe published in 1999. It's hearty combining sweet and savory flavors. Enjoy!
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3⁄4 cup sweet potato (peeled and cubed)
- 1⁄4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 medium garlic clove (minced)
- 1⁄2 medium jalapeno pepper (seeded and minced)
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (16 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) canhealthy choice low-fat low-sodium chicken and rice soup (undiluted)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans (drained)
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- Place a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium high heat until hot.
- Add sweet potato, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeno; saute 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and next 5 ingredients (chicken through beans); bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.
- Add peanut butter, stirring with a whisk; cook 2 minutes.
Before shopping day, I had a few random ingredients in the kitchen and was trying to figure out how to put them together. Typed the list into recipe zaar and got this recipe. It was super hearty and filling. Would be good after a Winter day of working/playing outside.
I've been making this ever since it was published in Cooking Light. Most people do not notice the peanut butter.