1/2 Photos of African Chicken Peanut Butter Soup
1 hr 30 mins
A spicy soup for a cold night!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs chicken pieces (legs and thighs work best)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (no need to drain)
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Heat oil in large dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- 2Saute onion and garlic, until onion is translucent. Stir in curry powder and red pepper flakes, and cook several seconds.
- 3Push aside and add chicken pieces, a few at a time, and saute until golden brown.
- 4Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer at least 25 minutes.
- 5Stir in peanut butter and tomatoes.
- 6Add three-fourths of the squash and cook down.
- 7Add potatoes and remaining squash about 20 minutes before serving, cooking just until done, not falling apart.
- 8Season with salt and pepper and ladle into bowls.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for African Chicken Peanut Butter Soup
Serving Size: 1 (649 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 621.5
- Calories from Fat 347
- Total Fat 38.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 77.6 mg
- Sodium 988.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 35.2 g