Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A spicy soup for a cold night!
- 3 lbs chicken pieces (legs and thighs work best)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (no need to drain)
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in large dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Saute onion and garlic, until onion is translucent. Stir in curry powder and red pepper flakes, and cook several seconds.
- Push aside and add chicken pieces, a few at a time, and saute until golden brown.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer at least 25 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter and tomatoes.
- Add three-fourths of the squash and cook down.
- Add potatoes and remaining squash about 20 minutes before serving, cooking just until done, not falling apart.
- Season with salt and pepper and ladle into bowls.
This was so tasty. I cut back the spice and even the kids liked it. I made it with Japanese pumpkin (kabocha) leaving the skin on and adding it early in the cooking process. It turned out great, like a stew. It would be good with fresh lemon juice and fresh cilantro if you like that. We served it over rice....so good. Lots of leftovers!
Surprise, DH liked most of this! It was spicy and tasty and we cleaned out the pot. Somehow both DH and I loved the soup part and liked the chicken less, for DH that was predictable but I'm a true chicken lover so was surprised.We were delighted though with the rest of the recipe, so I'm going to leave the chicken out next time and have fun making the rest of the soup. Please see my Rating System: 4 stars for a soup that has great flavour. Thanks !
A very hearty soup, with lots of spicy flavour. We made this, intending to serve it as an appetizer for a dinner party, then realised that if I served this, no one would have room for anything else! So DH and his friend had a small amount each and LOVED it, and Dh is having the rest for lunch this week, excellent during our winter and an exceptionally cold snap. This really is a Winter Warmer... thanks Mikekey!