A spicy soup for a cold night!
Make and share this African Chicken Peanut Butter Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs chicken pieces (legs and thighs work best)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (no need to drain)
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in large dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Saute onion and garlic, until onion is translucent. Stir in curry powder and red pepper flakes, and cook several seconds.
- Push aside and add chicken pieces, a few at a time, and saute until golden brown.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer at least 25 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter and tomatoes.
- Add three-fourths of the squash and cook down.
- Add potatoes and remaining squash about 20 minutes before serving, cooking just until done, not falling apart.
- Season with salt and pepper and ladle into bowls.