This flavorful Ethiopian-inspired chicken stew uses Berbere, an Ethiopian spice blend. Store extra spice mix covered in a cool, dark place for up to two weeks. Use leftovers on salmon, flank steak, or chicken for fiery flavor. Serve with basmati rice. Cooking Light recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 chicken breast halves, skinned (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 chicken drumsticks, skinned (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 chicken thighs, skinned (about 3/4 pound)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions (2 medium)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons berbere
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can no-added-salt tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 lemon wedges
- 1For Chicken:.
- 2Place chicken in a shallow dish; drizzle with juice, and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- 3Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes (do not brown), stirring frequently. Add 2 teaspoons Berbere, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, butter, ginger, nutmeg, and cardamom; cook 1 minute. Add wine, broth, and tomato paste; stir until well blended. Add chicken mixture; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 50 minutes or until chicken is tender, turning chicken occasionally. Stir in cilantro. Serve with lemon wedges.
- 4For Berbere:.
- 5Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for African Chicken in Spicy Red Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.9
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 99.8 mg
- Sodium 593.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 26.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth