Recipe by TammieV
Shared with me by a missionary from Africa. I like this because it is somewhat sweet yet it is also savoury.
Top Review by andysp8
my parents spent 5 years in Ghana in the 1950's and this is very similar to what my mother would make. For condiments you can add sliced hard-boiled eggs, potato chips, fried and uncooked tomatoes, coconut, raisins, fried and uncooked bananas etc. The combination of sweet and savoury, smooth and crunchy is wonderful.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup finely chopped pared apple
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 -3 teaspoons curry powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup cold chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms (drained)
- cooked rice, for 6 servings
- flaked coconut
- chopped banana
Directions See How It's Made
- In sauce pan, melt butter, add apple, celery and onion,Cook till tender.
- Combine corn starch, curry, salt and broth.
- Stir into onion mixture.
- Add milk.
- Cook, stirring till thick and bubbly.
- Stir in chicken and mushrooms.
- Heat through.
- Serve over rice and pass condiments to be added at will.
- I like a banana and peanut combination the best, but it is fun to have some of each.