1 hr 30 mins
Mouth-watering spices make this chicken stew a perfect hearty dish for cold weather.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 lbs boneless chicken, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 sweet potatoes or 1 yam, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2/3 cup peanut butter (crunchy or creamy, doesn't matter)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 bell pepper, any color, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil on med-high. When hot, add the onions and sweet potatoes, stir and cook until onions are soft and translucent.
- 2Add chicken, cook til opaque.
- 3Stir in the garlic, curry powder, coriander, cumin, and crushed red chiles. Cook 1 minute.
- 4Add the carrots, celery, ginger, cinnamon, bay leaf, salt, chicken broth, and tomato paste.
- 5Bring the liquid to a boil, then cover and simmer on low for 45 minutes.
- 6When the stew has cooked for 45 minutes, stir in the peanut butter. Cook another 3 minutes, uncovered for the flavors to blend.
- 7Stir in the chopped tomato and bell pepper. Simmer until the tomatoes and pepper are softened but still retain their shape, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 8Stir in lemon juice. Serve with the chopped cilantro on the top, and additional red pepper flakes on the side, if desired.
- 9I like to serve this stew over hearty brown rice. Healthy and delicious!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for African Chicken and Peanut Stew
Serving Size: 1 (220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 428.6
- Calories from Fat 271
- Total Fat 30.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 85.1 mg
- Sodium 691.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 28.6 g