Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From the Feb/Mar 2008 issue of TOH. Submitted by Heather Ewald, who received the recipe from her aunt Linda Klassen who was a missionary in Nigeria for 45 years.
- 1 lb lean stewing beef
- 1 small onion
- 2 small bell peppers
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups rice
- Cut the beef into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Chop the onion and peppers.
- In a large saucepan, combine the beef, onions, peppers, undrained tomatoes, curry powder and salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until meat is tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- About 45 minutes to a half hour before ready to serve, prepare the rice according to package directions.
- Serve the beef over the rice and top with some raisins.
This is an excellent dish, and very easy. I did brown the meat and vegetables in a little oil before adding the tomatoes. I used African Curry Powder. Didn't add the raisins because my kid would have had the snit fit of the century if I had! I bet it's even better with them, though. Thanks for posting!