Nb. The recipe calls for dry beans, I use tinned, approx. 420gr size, and if I haven’t got black-eyed I use cannelli or borlotti or any smallish white bean; cuts down on cooking time This is a vegetarian dish intended as a main meal, but it makes a great side dish as well. A good variation is to add sautéed sliced mushrooms with the onions, and I usually add garlic as well. Its good served immediately, but if you refrigerate and heat the next day its even better.
- Cook dry beans according to instructions on packet. (No need with canned beans).
- Sauté onions until they are soft and clear.
- Add tomato paste, coconutcream and seasonings, stirring over a gentle heat until they form a smooth and creamy sauce.
- Drain beans and add to sauce. Allow to simmer gently for 15 minutes or so, stirring from time to time.
- Serve on brown or white rice accompanied by a salad.