Recipe by PinkCherryBlossom
Simple comfort food. Easy to make as exact amounts do not matter.
Top Review by Jeangenie
My husband claims to not like carrots or green peppers very much, despite this he said this was the best soup he has ever tasted! I had to use tinned navy beans as I couldn't lay my hands on any dried ones here (Barbados) I also used dried basil and cayenne pepper sprinkles - and substituted olive oil instead of butter, anyway it was delish, nice and spicy, I would maybe cut down on the salt a little - but that may have been because of the tinned beans, I know I will be making this one a lot!!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups carrots, thinly sliced
- 12 cups boiling water
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 1 cup dried navy beans
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup salted peanuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt margarine in large stock pot.
- Add carrots. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add water, black eyed peas, navy beans, green pepper, salt, and crushed red pepper (add more water, if necessary, to cover).
- Cook, covered, until ingredients are tender, 1 1/2-2 hours.
- Add peanuts, onion powder, basil, and coriander during last 10-15 minutes of cooking.
- Taste to correct seasonings.
- Soup should be thick.