Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Simple comfort food. Easy to make as exact amounts do not matter.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups carrots, thinly sliced
- 12 cups boiling water
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 1 cup dried navy beans
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup salted peanuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- Melt margarine in large stock pot.
- Add carrots. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add water, black eyed peas, navy beans, green pepper, salt, and crushed red pepper (add more water, if necessary, to cover).
- Cook, covered, until ingredients are tender, 1 1/2-2 hours.
- Add peanuts, onion powder, basil, and coriander during last 10-15 minutes of cooking.
- Taste to correct seasonings.
- Soup should be thick.
My husband claims to not like carrots or green peppers very much, despite this he said this was the best soup he has ever tasted! I had to use tinned navy beans as I couldn't lay my hands on any dried ones here (Barbados) I also used dried basil and cayenne pepper sprinkles - and substituted olive oil instead of butter, anyway it was delish, nice and spicy, I would maybe cut down on the salt a little - but that may have been because of the tinned beans, I know I will be making this one a lot!!