Recipe by Punky Julster
For ZWT'06 Needs overnight prep. that is not included in prep time.
Top Review by Dreamgoddess
My husband kinda looked at me funny when I began preparing this recipe, but one taste and he was hooked! This was so good and got highest raves from the whole family. I never would have thought of combining these particular ingredients, but they all blended together beautifully. The flavor was fantastic! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
- 3 lbs boneless chicken breasts (cut into 4 inch-- chunks)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- salt and pepper
- 4 medium onions (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons hot curry powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with some water for thickening the sauce
- 30 dried apricot halves
- 1 onion (cut into 2 inch sections)
- 2 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine chicken pieces, garlic, salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a medium frying pan, fry onions in oil until golden.
- Stir in coriander, cumin and curry powder.
- Stir to coat onions, then add brown sugar, lemon juice and jam.
- Add 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- When cool, pour over chicken.
- Add bay leaves and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, thread meat with onions and apricots on skewers.
- Grill over coals or broil in oven (7 minutes on each side).
- While meat grills, remove bay leaves from marinade and transfer it to a heavy pot. Bring to a boil and add the cornstarch/water mixture to thicken a bit.
- Serve over rice.