1 hr 15 mins
This recipe originated in North Africa near Tripoli and not far from the Gulf of Sidra which is the Almond-growing area of Africa. From African Cookery by Annette Merson. Posted for ZWT6.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil chicken in water until tender - about 30 minutes.
- 2Take out and set aside to cool.
- 3Save 2 cups of the chicken stock.
- 4Debone the cooled chicken.
- 5Heat the oil.
- 6Then add the celery, peas, chicken stock, almonds, salt and sherry.
- 7Simmer 10 minutes.
- 8Thicken sauce with 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed in 1/4 cup water.
- 9Add to sauce and bring to a boil until it thickens.
- 10Serve with noodles or a bowl of steaming rice.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for African Almond Chicken (Libya)
Serving Size: 1 (481 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 784.6
- Calories from Fat 503
- Total Fat 55.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 164.0 mg
- Sodium 480.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 48.3 g