Recipe by lazyme
This recipe originated in North Africa near Tripoli and not far from the Gulf of Sidra which is the Almond-growing area of Africa. From African Cookery by Annette Merson. Posted for ZWT6.
- 3 lbs whole chickens
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, chopped
- 1 cup celery, diced
- salt, to taste
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil chicken in water until tender - about 30 minutes.
- Take out and set aside to cool.
- Save 2 cups of the chicken stock.
- Debone the cooled chicken.
- Heat the oil.
- Then add the celery, peas, chicken stock, almonds, salt and sherry.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Thicken sauce with 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed in 1/4 cup water.
- Add to sauce and bring to a boil until it thickens.
- Serve with noodles or a bowl of steaming rice.