Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe originated in North Africa near Tripoli and not far from the Gulf of Sidra which is the Almond-growing area of Africa. From African Cookery by Annette Merson. Posted for ZWT6.
- Boil chicken in water until tender - about 30 minutes.
- Take out and set aside to cool.
- Save 2 cups of the chicken stock.
- Debone the cooled chicken.
- Heat the oil.
- Then add the celery, peas, chicken stock, almonds, salt and sherry.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Thicken sauce with 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed in 1/4 cup water.
- Add to sauce and bring to a boil until it thickens.
- Serve with noodles or a bowl of steaming rice.