Recipe by GiddyUpGo
This recipe is from week two of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook one meal from every country in the world, and Afghanistan is my second stop. Kabuli Pulao has been called "The National Food of Afghanistan." It is a flavorful rice dish, usually served with lamb or beef.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 lb lamb (I made a meatless version)
- 2 cups mutton broth (You can't find mutton broth?? Substitute beef broth.)
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup golden raisin
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the carrots and raisins in butter. Set them aside.
- Heat about a tablespoon of oil in a medium sized pan and cook the onions until translucent. Then add the rice and broth, bring to a boil, cover and cook for 20 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Add the spices to hot oil and cook for a few seconds, until fragrant. Then add the meat and saute until just done.
- Place the meat in an oven-safe dish, then cover it with the rice and bake at 250 degrees for 20 minutes.