Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Posted per a request.
- 1 cup split yellow moong dal
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 15 ounces kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- dried mint, as needed
- Cook the moong dal in water (not included in ingredients) in a saucepan over medium heat until tender, but the lentils are still separate. Drain.
- In a dutch oven or other large soup pot, fry the ground beef over medium heat.
- Puree the onion in 1 cup water in a blender or food processor and add to the ground beef.
- Add garlic and salt also to the meat and stir-fry for about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and 1 more cup water and simmer 10 more minutes.
- Add the kidney beans, chickpeas, moong dal, ground coriander, black pepper, cayenne powder, and 6 cups water. Stir and simmer for 20 more minutes.
- Check to see if 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon more of salt is needed.
- Turn off heat.
- In a blender put the yogurt, 1/2 cup water, flour and cornstarch and puree.
- After the soup has cooled slightly stir in the yogurt mixture. Do not boil the yogurt or it will curdle. Sprinkle with dried mint. Serve with naan or pita bread.