Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Adapted From http://afghantribes.com/afghan-dishes/meatballsnoodles
Make and share this Afghani Meatballs & Noodles recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 lb noodles
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain kefir (or yogurt)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mint, chopped
- For the meatballs:.
- In a bowl, combine the beef, cinnamon, coriander, turmeric, cayenne, salt, pepper, and half of the garlic. With clean hands, mix thoroughly, then shape the meat into 3/4-inch meatballs. Set aside and let sit for 30 - 90 minutes to allow flavours to meld.
- In a large, heavy pan, heat the oil, add the onion, and cook over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until it is very soft. Turn the heat to medium-high and add the meatballs. Cook, turning them often, until they lose their pink color.
- Add the plum tomatoes and remaining garlic. Cover the pan, turn down the heat, and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, salt, and pepper and cook the mixture for 5 minutes over low heat, stirring once or twice.
- For the noodles:.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until they are tender but still have some bite. Drain the noodles and transfer them to a bowl. Stir in the kefir, garlic, and salt. Toss thoroughly and transfer to 6 wide bowls. Spoon meatballs around the edges of each bowl of noodles, add the mint to the center and serve at once.