Recipe by Andtototoo!
This recipe came from an Afghanistan cookbook, that I think came out in the 1990's (from Minnesota). I don't remember the title, but their recipes were very good.
- 1 bunch fresh spinach
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup corn oil
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- pita bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the spinach several times to remove any sand, and finely chop.
- Put water into a medium-size saucepan until it comes up about 1" from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the spinach and boil over high heat for five minutes.
- In a large frying pan, over medium-high heat, put the oil and onion.
- Stir-fry until the onion is tender, adding the garlic the last couple of minutes.
- Add the cooked spinach and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Turn off heat and let cool.
- In a serving bowl mix together the yogurt, spinach mixture, cayenne, salt, pepper and ground coriander.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- The mixture needs to sit for a while in the fridge so that the flavors can marry.
- Serve with pita bread or naan.