Recipe by Andre!
I adapted a recipe found in a magazine and gave it a budget makeover to make it truly affordable for those of us on a tight budget. Can be served with rice, potatoes or pasta and a salad. Leftover slices make wonderful sandwiches and leftover meatloaf can be frozen and reheated in a microwave for 3 minutes. I picked this recipe because it had the minimum of ingredients. I particularly liked that the ground beef (could have been turkey) was 'streched' with oats (or cooked rice). The original recipe called for two egg whites but I used one whole egg.
Top Review by jaimeandisaacsmom
Just wanted to say my hub has never liked meatloaf, because every time he's tried different people's recipes he never liked any of them. This one he absolutely loves. Thanks so much!
- 3⁄4 cup oats
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F Mix oats, 1/2 of the ketchup and egg in a large bowl until blended.
- Add meat and vegetables; mix lightly.
- Shape into loaf; place on broiler pan (middle oven rack) lined with foil.
- Brush with remaining ketchup.
- Bake 45 minutes or until cooked through.