Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From the "Scandinavian and American Recipes" cookbook, recipes submitted by parents and friends of the Svenskarnas Dag Girls Choir. Preparation time does not include soaking time.
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow split peas
- 2 quarts cold water
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced baked ham
- 3⁄4 cup minced onion
- 3 celery ribs, with tops sliced
- 1 -2 carrot, diced
- salt and pepper
- Soak peas in water overnight.
- Add ham, onion, celery and carrots; heat to boil.
- Cover, simmer 2 hours until peas are tender and liquid partially cooked down.
- Season to taste.
- For smoother soup, put through a sieve.
- Dilute as desired with milk.