Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Greek flavors with a lime vinaigrette make this salad a perfect dish for a hot summer's day, and the colors are just beautiful! The rice, seasonings, and vinaigrette mixture can be made ahead, but do not compose the salad until just before serving. Cooking time includes chilling time.
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2⁄3 cup thinly sliced scallion
- 2⁄3 cup chopped Italian parsley or 2⁄3 cup summer savory
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and quartered length-wise, then sliced into chunks
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (or more to taste)
- 1 lb medium cooked shrimp (do not use small "salad shrimp")
- 1 (10 ounce) bag mixed salad greens or 1 (10 ounce) bag Baby Spinach
- 4 garlic cloves, grated on a microplane
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper
- 1 dash salt (remember that the feta is salty)
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 2 limes)
- Mix vinaigrette and reserve.
- Cook the rice in a very large pot of rapidly boiling salted water for 15-20 minutes, or until tender but slightly firm.
- Drain and rinse in cool water, then drain well.
- Combine rice and half of vinaigrette.
- Let stand until rice is at room temperature.
- Mix in the remaining vinaigrette and the scallions, parsley and mint, and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Just before serving, line a serving platter/dish or individual plates with salad greens.
- Place a mound of the rice mixture in the center, sprinkle with cucumber chunks, then the feta. Rim the salad with shrimp.
- If you store the rice mixture and the rest of the ingredients separately, leftovers taste great. But if you mix everything together, the cucumber can become slimey and the feta can become watery overnight.