Recipe by Toby Jermain
I don't remember where this recipe came from, but I have had it for years, and it it very good.
Top Review by JustJanS
Russell cooked this for our dinner last night. It was good, with lots of nice fresh flavours. He found the recipe easy to follow and quick to make. There were 5 of us sharing this, so I wish I had had more sauce over my rice, but I love loads of sauce.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb tomatoes, seeded and chopped,reserving juice and seeds
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped,more to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, lightly crushed to release flavor
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, lightly crushed to release flavor
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 -3 dashes hot pepper oil (or Tabasco, distant second choice)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- 1⁄2 cup red wine or 1⁄2 cup white wine, as required for additional liquid
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 ounces crumbled feta cheese, more to taste
- 15 -20 black kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 1 lemon
- hot cooked rice or rice, pilaf as accompaniment
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until soft.
- Stir in tomatoes, garlic, bay leaf, basil, oregano, parsley, sesame oil, hot oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add reserved tomato juice and wine, and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from skillet using a slotted spoon, leaving juices in skillet.
- Spread vegetables in the bottom of an 8"x8"x2" baking pan.
- Increase heat to medium-high, and bring pan juices to a boil; add shrimp and cook 2-4 minutes, turning several times, until shrimp are pink and juices have lightly browned on the shrimp.
- Add shrimp to baking pan.
- Deglaze skillet with a little more wine, and pour over shrimp.
- Crumble feta cheese over shrimp, arrange olives over cheese, and squeeze half of lemon over top.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and squeeze remaining lemon over top.
- Serve with rice or rice pilaf.
- Makes 4-5 servings.