Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is from Cooking Light. ZWT3.
- 4 1⁄2 lbs lamb shoulder
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 (10 ounce) bag fresh spinach, chopped
- 5 cups hot cooked orzo pasta (about 2 1/2 cups uncooked rice-shaped pasta)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- oregano sprig (optional)
- lemon slice (optional)
- Trim fat from lamb. Place lamb in an electric slow cooker, and sprinkle with oregano, rind, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Pour in juice; top lamb with spinach. Cover with lid; cook on high heat for 1 hour. Reduce heat setting to low; cook 7 hours.
- Remove spinach and lamb from slow cooker, reserving cooking liquid; cool. Remove meat from bones; discard bones, fat, and gristle. Chop meat.
- Place a zip-top plastic bag inside a 2-cup glass measure. Pour drippings into bag, and let stand 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top).
- Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 bottom corner of bag.
- Drain drippings into a large bowl, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, lamb, spinach, orzo, and feta to strained drippings.
- Garnish with oregano sprigs and lemon slices, if desired.
I have made this many times. I love the dish. Sometimes I omit the spinach. I also used different types of lamb, whatever I have on hand.