1/4 Photos of Aebleskiver (Round, Filled Danish Pancakes)
This Danish delicacy is served in many Danish-American homes, including mine. A special pan is needed; even though new pans are available, many cooks favor the old cast-iron pans, which are handed down from generation to generation. You can get them at many scandanavian specialty stores, and can also order them online. In Denmark, aebleskiver is served as a dessert with sugar or marmelade. On the island of Aero, a small sliver of prune is put in the middle as they are cooked. There are many different recipes, and this one is my family's favorite. We put a little jam, preferably lingonberry preserves, in the middle of our aebleskivers as they are cooking, before turning them, and we eat them with sweetened cinamon-sugar applesauce. You will need a little practice in turning these doughnut-like treats. A fork works, but some practiced "turners" use a knitting needle, preferably wooden, or a similar device such as an ice pick. Even a toothpick will do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Beat egg whites until stiff; set aside.
- 2Beat egg yolks and buttermilk together.
- 3Sift dry ingredients together and add to liquid mixture.
- 4Add the melted butter and mix together until smooth.
- 5Fold in beaten egg whites.
- 6Fill pan cups about 1/4 full of oil and heat.
- 7Fill pan cups with batter. If you are adding jam, jelly, or applesauce to the middle add it now, only about a 1/4 teaspoons
- 8Bake until the edges are bubbly.
- 9Turn (using a fork, knitting needle, or toothpick) and continue turning until evenly browned and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aebleskiver (Round, Filled Danish Pancakes)
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 339.4
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 178.7 mg
- Sodium 695.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 13.6 g