Recipe by Sydney Mike
This recipe comes from the 1973 cookbook, Scandinavian Cooking.
Top Review by katew
This is my favourite type of dessert ! Rustic and moreish and for me sweet enough to eat without cream. My breadcrumbs were made from a leftover frozen end of a pumpkin loaf so were a gorgeous colour. I mixed vanilla paste and cinnamon through a chunky apple and pear mix and had a wonderful, glorious and golden result. Many thanks Syd - this made my day much better !!
- 453.59 g can applesauce
- 29.58 ml granulated sugar
- 2.46 ml pure vanilla extract
- 295.73 ml dried breadcrumbs
- 118.29 ml margarine, melted
- 236.59 ml whipping cream, whipped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F, then butter a 1 1/2-quart ovenproof dish.
- In a bowl, combine applesauce, sugar & vanilla extract.
- In the prepared baking dish, lay down alternate layers of breadcrumbs & applesauce, ending with breadcrumbs.
- Pour melted margarine over the top & bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Top with dollops of whipped cream & serve hot.