Recipe by Prose
These small red beans have a texture and flavor that approximates ground beef, in my opinion, but you could also use black beans or pinto beans in this recipe. Cooking time includes soaking the beans overnight.
- 236.59 ml dry adzuki beans
- 1419.54-1892.72 ml water
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 cubes vegetarian chicken-flavored bouillon or 2 vegetarian beef-flavored bouillon
- 1 bay leaf
- 29.58 ml taco seasoning
- 14.79 ml crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak beans overnight in 4 cups water.
- Drain and rinse.
- In a large pot, sautee onions and garlic in oil.
- Add beans and 2-4 cups of water (enough to cover). Bring to a simmer.
- Add bouillon and bay leaf. Cook 1 hour, adding more water if necessary.
- Add taco seasoning and crushed red pepper. Cook an additional 30 minutes or until water is reduced.
- Remove bay leaf. Mash or blend about half the beans (I use an immersion blender) until the texture is similar to taco meat. Taste and stir in more seasonings if desired.