2 hrs 25 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
I've just discovered adzuki beans, and if you've never tried them, I strongly recommend them ! They are highly nutritious, and contain 25% protein, one of the highest ratios among beans. This spicy soup is a lovely way in which to make their acquaintance. My personal preference for the fresh garden herb mixture is half rosemary/half oregano, but by all means use what you like best !
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces dry adzuki beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs, finely chopped (rosemary, oregano, parsley, chives, basil, or a combination of your choice)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons white pepper
- 1Wash the adzuki beans well in several changes of water, then drain.
- 2In a large pot, bring the 6 cups water to a boil.
- 3Add all ingredients and boil rapidly for 15 minutes.
- 4Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
- 5You may puree fully or partially for a smoother soup, but I prefer it just as it is.
- 6Serve with slices of GOOD bread!
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Adzuki Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (495 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 215.7
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1210.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 12.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: