1/1 Photo of Adzuki Bean, Brown Rice Barley Salad
1 hr 5 mins
magpie diner's Note:
I ran across the idea for a rice salad using adzuki beans online somewhere, which had similar based ingredients but a different dressing. I've paired the nutritious ingredients of brown rice, adzuki beans and barley here with an Asian flavoured dressing. Not difficult to prepare, but it does involve some boiling and overnight soaking of the beans. In my case I make it with leftover brown rice so there is one less step. This could be spiced up with some cayenne or chili paste as you please, and of course the addition of flax oil is completely optional. I think this would be good for 4 sides, or 2 mains. I haven't included the overnight soaking in the prep time.
My Private Note
as a side
Units: US | Metric
- 118.29 ml dry adzuki beans (aka azuki beans)
- 236.59 ml cooked brown rice (leftovers work well here or boil up about 1/2 a cup of raw rice)
- 59.14 ml pearl barley
- 22.18 ml sesame oil
- 22.18 ml rice wine vinegar
- 22.18 ml Braggs liquid aminos (or tamari or soy...start with 1 tbsp then taste test)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 4.92 ml fresh ginger (minced or grated, about a 1-inch piece, or 1/2 tsp dried ground ginger)
- 1 garlic clove (minced or grated)
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml coriander powder
- 14.79 ml flax seed oil (optional)
- 2 green onions, sliced (green & white parts)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 14.79 ml sesame seeds (plus more for garnish)
- 59.14 ml fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1Soak the beans overnight in plenty of water. When ready to cook, rinse and drain them from their soaking liquid. Place into a medium pot with plenty of water and bring to a boil. Cover (ajar), reduce to medium simmer and allow to cook for about 50 minutes. Freshness of the beans makes a difference, yours might not take as long so check along the way. Set the timer for 20 minutes. Make your rice at same time if need be.
- 220 Minutes into the beans cooking, add the 1/4 cup of barley. If you are worried about the colour from the beans staining the barley, then cook it separately.
- 3While that cooks, make the dressing by mixing the sesame oil, vinegar, braggs/soy, lime juice, ginger, garlic, sugar, coriander and flax oil. Set that aside.
- 4In your salad serving bowl add the carrot, green onions, sesame seeds and cilantro.
- 5Once the beans & barley are cooked, drain then cool them off well in cold water, drain again. Do same with your rice if need be.
- 6Mix the beans, rice & barley and dressing to the veg in your bowl, mix well and garnish with some extra sesame seeds.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Adzuki Bean, Brown Rice Barley Salad
Serving Size: 1 (522 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.2
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 13.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 8.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar
Braggs liquid aminos