Recipe by BecR
Rich, thick and creamy homemade egg liqueur! Advocaat is traditionally served in a wide brimmed cocktail glass with whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa powder, and eaten with a spoon. It is also served as an aperitif or digestif. The best known cocktail using Advocaat is the popular Snowball Snowball, and also the Bombardino Bombardino which is a popular apres-ski coffee beverage in the Italian Alps. Advocaat is also used as a topping for waffles, and as an ingredient for several desserts such as pastries and ice cream. Delicious!
- 10 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups superfine sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups brandy (preferably a clear brandy or eau de vie, such as Kirschwasser) or 1 1⁄2 cups cognac (preferably a clear brandy or eau de vie, such as Kirschwasser)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the egg yolks, salt and sugar until thickened and lemony in color.
- Slowly trickle in the brandy, while still beating.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and warm over a LOW heat, continuously whisking. Do not boil.
- The Advocaat is ready when it coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Let cool.
- Serve immediately, or cover & refrigerate until serving time.
- Serve Advocaat in a wide brimmed cocktail glass, with whipped cream and dust with cocoa powder.
- Or, fold some whipped cream through the Advocaat to create a decadent dessert called Tokkelroom.